Grundfos pumps are submersible centrifugal pumps. The 11.3″ long x 1.81″ diameter Redi-Flo 2 can draw water from up to 300’ deep, with close to 300’ of headspace. The Redi-Flo 2 is powered by 115 VAC, and controlled with the Grundfos Variable Frequency Drive, also known as a “Grundfos Controller.” Pine’s Redi-Flo 2s are presented on a reel for easy deployment and come outfitted with a variety of hose barb sizes (1/4”, 3/8”, and ½”). The barbs will fit the following tubing sizes; ¼” x 3/8”, 3/8” x ½”, and ½” x 5/8”.
Pine also offers 3” and 4” diameter pumps. They can pump at higher flow rates, and from greater depths than the Redi-Flo 2. The 3” and 4” diameter pumps can be used for moving large volumes of water in a short period of time, low flow sampling, pump testing, and tank transfer. There are many configurations, so please contact your local Pine office with questions about the 3” and 4” Grundfos pumps.
Although Grundfos pumps are great for a variety of applications, they are often misused. Misuse can lead to poor results. If used in turbid wells, as found during well development, a pump can be rendered unusable in a short amount of time.
To assist our customers in a successful rental of the Grundfos Redi-Flo 2 Pump and controller, we have provided the following “ Tech Tips” to consider.
Grundfos Redi-Flo 2 “Tech Tips”
- Never run the pump dry as this will likely overheat the pump and may cause irreversible damage.
- Do not allow the pump to freeze. If the water used for lubrication inside the pump freezes, the metal screws that fasten the pump bottom could break.
- The Redi-Flo 2 must be installed vertically with the discharge end pointed up.
- Complete submersion is required to ensure the lubrication of the shaft seal and cooling of the motor.
- Always use a cooling shroud in wells 3” or larger. Contact Pine Env. to obtain a stainless steel cooling shroud.
- Check valves are available too. They prevent water within the tubing from draining back into the well if the pump is stopped. If a check valve is required, notify your Pine representative when ordering.
- To prevent overheating, do not install the pump lower than the bottom of the well screen.
- The installation depth of the pump should always be at least 3’ below the maximum drawdown of the well.
- The Redi-Flo 2 is not recommended for well development or pumping fluid containing abrasives.
- The Redi-Flo 2 is not recommended for continuous operation applications.
- To minimize the risk of damaging the pump, clean the pump impellers, vanes and spacers often.
- The Grundfos Redi-Flo 2 is not recommended for salt-water use.
- Using a pump with the discharge tubing kinked or wound on a reel will lower the efficiency or damage the pump.
- Inspect the motor lead frequently and contact Pine Env. if there are any nicks or cuts.
Grundfos 115VAC Variable Frequency Drive (Grundfos Controller) Tech Tips
- Pine’s rental generators will power the Redi-Flo 2 and controller without problems. If using your own generator to power the pump, be sure to test the voltage output of your generator to assure 115V output and if possible test the generator with the pump and controller prior to going out into the field.
- The VFD (variable frequency drive) converter is not waterproof.
- Avoid using extension cords. The controller may experience a low voltage fault condition due to voltage loss and voltage fluctuations caused by extension cords. Controller fault conditions cause the pump to shut down.
Remember, the Grundfos Redi-Flo 2 pumps are a great tool and when used properly can assist in a wide variety of applications. However, there are limitations to the capabilities and operating conditions to many instruments. If you have any questions as to the proper use and operation of this rental item or any others, please contact your local Pine representative to discuss the matter and make sure you get the right tool for the job. Thanks for using Pine!!